I'm always so pleased when I find a way round some exasperating computer problem that I thought I'd share my moments of triumph ...

Sunday 5 October 2014

WiFi secrets revealed

I've joined a new broadband and phone provider. New ISP, new modem - and this one seems to be noticeably slower than its predecessor. So I checked my earlier blog about wifi problems, and opened up Apple's Wireless Diagnostics.

Last time I ran this application there were lots of interesting charts and information about one's wifi connection. Now, they seem to have disappeared with only a boring screen telling one all is well (or, I suppose, not).

However, I found a clue elsewhere online. The discussion refers to Mavericks but I'm running Mountain Lion - same applies.

Bizarrely, with Wireless Diagnostics open, go to the top menu bar and click Window > Utilities. You get a new window with all the previous ways to allow you to obsess about your wifi setup.

Oh dear, my Performance chart is not looking good -  apparently signal (RSSI) should be a lot stronger than noise (makes sense), at least -25 between the numbers, while mine has barely -10.

I can see hours of "fun" coming up trying to sort this out. Watch this space.


No comments:

Post a Comment