More options for the appearance of annotations - text, oval, rectangle, line:
- Click Tools > Annotate > Add text
- In the menu at the bottom of the screen, click on the little Text square
- Click and drag on the screen and type the text.
- Next, here is the magic bit, with the text box selected, go to Tools > Show inspector (or cmd-i)
- At the top of the Inspector box, click the pencil icon top right
- The pull-down list next to Text style then offers various options - Outline, Bordered, Speech bubble, Thought bubble
- You can adjust the line thickness, line colour and fill colour if you select one of these.